January 23, 2014

PRAYER IN SCHOOL


I thought I’d start off sharing with you all something that wouldn’t get me excommunicated right off the bat and is probably more of a political slant than theological:  prayer in schools.

I’ve got to admit, I’ve always been puzzled by people screaming for the right to pray at school events and such.  But it's only been within the last year that I felt the freedom to question it...and disagree with it.  Have you ever been at a football game when someone prays at the beginning of the game?  How many people pay attention, act reverently, and actually pray with the pray-er?  It’s as if we’re trying to prove to the people in the stadium that we are Believers because someone says a prayer amidst the sounds of popcorn popping and knuckles cracking and feet stomping on aluminum bleachers.  I personally think that God cares as much about prayers at the beginning of a football game as He does when the winning team huddles together to thank Him for the win.  (“Thank You, God, for letting us get that field goal and for keeping Bubba’s knee from giving out and for giving us the division championship!!!  Go Mustangs!”)

And what about the whole Matthew 6:6 thing:  “But when you pray, go into your private room, shut your door, and pray to your Father…”? 

However, my biggest deal has to do with what our forefathers communicated to us through the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution.

My understanding of the First Amendment is that here in the United States the federal government can’t make any laws that establish one religion over another.  And it goes on to say that the government can’t “impede” the exercising of any religion.  The Fourteenth Amendment then states that no state or local government can either. 

In other words, it’s illegal all the way around for any organization that is under federal, state, or local governmental control to give precedence to one religious group over other religious groups. To me, that says a Muslim has just as much right to exercise his religion anywhere as a Christian does, as a Buddhist does, etc., etc.

So, am I saying that we should have Muslim prayers over the school loudspeakers in the morning after the Pledge of Allegiance?  Hindu chants before school lunches?  ABSOLUTLEY NOT.  Just the opposite:  I don’t want my children to be subject to someone leading them in prayers of another religion, or even another denomination that believes differently than I do.

However, since we live in the great free country of the United States of America, if we Christians are given free reign to pray at any school function, then the Amendments to our Constitution also give that right to other religions also.  One group can’t have religious freedom without the others also having it.

But here’s the kicker to me, and it’s a spiritual point:  no one can be kept from privately praying anywhere…ever.  If you seriously want to pray a sincere prayer at a school function, you CAN.  No one can stop you.  You can go into the “private room” of your heart, and say anything to the Father that you want.  As one of my college classmates Morgan Cryar wrote in his song “Pray in the USA”: 

I got news for you today
You can’t stop a heart that prays

Public prayer in schools?  100% against it.  But pray away in that chapel of your heart. God hears you even though you’re not on the loudspeaker….

(Side note:  What about prayers at things like See You At the Pole, FCA meetings, etc.?  I believe these are fine. Students are there because they share similar beliefs and these are not school-sponsored functions. Not that they have to have my approval or anything, you know.)

6 comments:

  1. As a long time (can you say "seasoned") teacher in public schools, I have felt the same way for a long time. So often, we get so caught up in our own beliefs, we fail to realize that EVERYONE in our country is afforded the same religious freedoms. If prayer were to be "legalized" in schools, there is no telling what that "prayer" would look like. Whoever is in control of a school and/or other public organization would dictate what would constitute "proper" prayers for any given situation. Many years ago, I was approached by a Christian woman who happened to be the PTA President at the school I served at the time. She asked if I would lead the prayer to start the next general meeting. I was flattered and honored that she recognized my faith and would ask me to do this, so I agreed. A day or two later, she came to see me to ask that I write out my prayer ahead of time so that she could review it. Oh, and by the way, we do not want to offend any parents from our very diverse school population, so make sure you avoid using words and/or phrases like: Our Father, Jesus, in Jesus's Name, etc. What I ended up with was a couple of VERY generic sentences that meant nothing to me! God was definitely not glorified or lifted up by that prayer! Never again for me!!! I do not need anyone to teach me how to pray - Jesus, Himself, did that! I do not need anyone to "allow" me to pray - I can do that wherever and whenever I choose! I would bet that the early Christians "prayed without ceasing" while facing persecution and certain death! I think that is the point so many people who argue for prayer in school miss - prayer is in school already! Prayer is in the workplace, in the home, in public restaurants - everywhere true believers go, there is prayer. Let's focus our attention on making sure we are always prayer full and go about doing what God wants us to do and live like He wants us to live! If we do that, we will not need our public prayers to communicate our belief and faith! This is Pam Haney and my sermon is now over! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard that sermon-tone in your voice a few times in the past, Sister Pam. Preach on. Lol!

      Delete
  2. Deloy, I agree with you totally. I am pleased that we do agree. It surprises me that so many Christians seem to think that prayer is forbidden in school. I is not nor can it ever be. Praying at an athletic event seems to presume that God of the Cosmos wants the Bulldogs to win over the Mustangs in a football game. It is sort of like praying for God to save and protect us as we run head long into 250 pound lineman on purpose. I do pray all the time, but seldom in public. When I do I hear Jesus saying don't pray as the publicans and Pharisees and what-haves-yous do. Go into your private place and pray. Good question for your post, and very patriotic as well as sound doctrinally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll pray loudly for your soul from the podium next time I have the bully mic, mr. chapman...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in case anyone's worried, by this comment, don't be....he's as crazy as me...

      Delete