February 17, 2014

MISSED YOU AT CHURCH SUNDAY


Have Believers lost the true meaning of CHURCH?  I never really questioned this until I joined the ranks of Christian misfits. You know what I mean: the older single person that goes to a congregation with no singles ministry; the bus ministry kids; the lone African American person or family in an all-white fellowship; the Christian struggling with an ongoing addiction; the homosexual looking for a place to worship;  the family who can't find a Bible study class for their special needs child; the separated Christian couple on the verge of divorce; the burned-out religion-weary former minister.....

Press any Evangelical Christian to answer the question, "What is church?" and they will more than likely respond with, "It's a body of Believers" (that's church-speak for "it's a group of people who say Jesus Christ is their Savior"), and then they'll most probably mention Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there among them.” That's what I grew up believing. Yet truth be known, 95% of Christians out there  (ok, I admit I pulled that number out of the air) don't consider "church" to be "church" unless they've entered that red bricked, white-steepled building, listened to a preacher and sung songs led by a worship leader.  Would you agree with me on that? (I don't like to be wrong...you know I'm right.)

I am definitely not one that believes anymore that "church" has to be a service in a sanctuary, or a chapel, or even a Sunday School classroom. I am more and more convinced that church is also whenever me and any other Believer(s) get together and our conversation becomes spiritual. Period. No worship leader, no preacher, no pews, no Bible necessary. Matthew 18:20 all the way, baby.  I believe that when my friend Randy was in town and made it a point to come visit me in my office and we talked about our kids and our jobs and our spiritual journeys, that was church.  And we didn't even pray (not even a blessing over our Sonic lunch...gasp).  I believe that when a co-worker and I had a conversation in the warehouse about a new praise song and how much it meant to each of us, that was church.  I believe that when my oldest daughter and I had a conversation about what God was showing me about prayer, that was church

Which leads me to this: have you ever told anyone (or been told), "I've missed seeing you at church."? Do you know what that statement means to me nowadays? It means we think you should get up off of your butt and meet us in that red bricked, white-steepled building on Sunday mornings because we're too busy and you're not quite important enough for us to make the effort to "be church" with you any other time or any other place.  We'll be glad to do church with you if it revolves around that building and its property and its programs and you make the effort to attend. But any other time and place that requires MY effort to come to you? Sorry...I'm too busy getting ready for meeting-in-the-building church to BE the church.

Yes, I said that. It may not be as callous as I make it out to be, but I believe it still boils down the same.

So, as one who now resides on the Island of Misfit Christians, I'm not quite sure about that big, carpeted, stained-glassed building.  In fact, it intimidates me and makes me anxious. But I am interested in church.  Matthew 18:20 church. Me-and-you church. 

(I think my copy of the Baptist Faith and Message just spontaneously combusted.  That's ok.  I don't need it to have church.....)

11 comments:

  1. Thank you! You spoke right to my heart Deloy. I have had a similar experience. Last Fall my Hubby and I rose very early one Sunday to (gasp!) go fishing. As we used our headlights to try and cut the fog and get the boat on the lake I was reminded to be still and know my God, the Creator. As we paddled the still waters I was reminded Who calmed the seas. Every bend brought new joys and discoveries as the sun rose. We fished, we worshiped, we thanked God for His creation, we sang hymns from our childhoods, we talked and I wept that day. I felt nearer to God than I have ever felt!
    After we finished we went to a local cafeteria for lunch, right after noon, in our fishing garb while others around us sat in their red brick, white steeple Church finery. We got "the look" but I think my meal tasted just as good, if not better than theirs.
    I hadn't gone to Church that day, but I experienced church in a miraculous way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post my comment here because I'd like to remain anonymous. I will say that I grew up with you in the same "church" and in fact your mother taught me Sunday School so I know where you are coming from. I have not been associated with any church for many years and I can say that at times I do miss the fellowship but for the most part I am happy with my spiritual situation.

    My beliefs have changed over the years mostly because after moving away from our hometown I was exposed to many people with many different religious backgrounds and I just could no longer believe that Baptists have a monopoly on God.

    I agree that folks do not need a building to "be church". It's been so long since I've been a part of a church that I haven't had anyone tell me that they miss me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post, Deloy. Where I'm at right now is envy for my dad's new place of ministry not meeting on Sunday nights! But seriously, I'm finding my ministry situation to be progressively more difficult the older my autistic son gets.

    Dan Calkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deloy, thanks for posting. This is an honest discussion, right? Your post makes me a little sad and gives me a new perspective on my church situation. I do understand your comments and what I hear as frustration. I've struggled a bit with being the "misfit Christian" in my church. However, there is such value in having honest Christianity played out in the building on Sunday with good numbers of people (Church). Perhaps an honest, safe environment at Church hasn't been your experience....that makes me sad. I will say, there are churches that have safer environments where believers are honest (or more honest than not) and live out their faith at the building on Sunday even in front of non-believers! Be encouraged, it can happen. In the meantime, enjoy your Matthew 18:20 moments. They are real, they are necessary, they are church! <3 Teri Hogoboom

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing that keeps bringing me back to the brick-n-mortar church are the scriptures that lay down the guidelines for elders/deacons, communion, etc. Thoughts on that? Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deloy, I know EXACTLY where you are coming from and what you are saying! We are commanded to worship Him and worship can occur in any location at any time. No where were we commanded to worship on Sunday mornings at 10:45! While I absolutely support and agree with your position, Hebrews 10:17-25 speaks specifically to the collective worship experience. It tells us how to prepare ourselves for worship, how to approach others in the body and to "not forsake our own assembling together". Verse 25 goes on to say that believers are to "encourage" one another. This is the biggest downfall I see of today's "church"! If you are one of those "misfits", how much encouragement do you actually receive from other believers? Hearing "I missed you at church" is often perceived as a criticism! In addition, if you happen to be a "sinner" (ie a tax collector or woman caught in adultery) you do not receive encouragement when you do attend - in fact, quite the opposite! You are NOT welcomed and there is no misunderstanding on your part that you do not "belong"! I suspect that this is what keeps MOST people out of church buildings. It is not that they do not believe they SHOULD be there. I think for the most part, people have a deep longing for God. However, too many times, they have not found Him in the brick and mortar buildings we call churches. I feel I am rambling, but I want you to know, Deloy, that there is value in both kinds of worship! It is a journey....just keep asking tough questions and seeking real answers!

    I recently finished a book that spoke to me about church, worship and our need for God. I would highly recommend it to you. It is by Lauren Drain and titled, "Banished: Surviving My Years in Westboro Baptist Church."

    Love reading your posts even when I'm not moved to respond. Thank you for this "worship" experience on this beautiful Tuesday morning! :)

    Pam Haney

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what is so cool about this? The understanding and empathetic responses I'm receiving, both here on the blog and on FB, even from those that bring up a different point of view. Thanks for understanding where my journey is at this point in my life, whether you agree or not. It's very freeing to be able to share my heart and not be considered a "bad person." When in career ministry I was made to feel the bad guy many times, both in words and in tone of voice, in written correspondence (many times anonymously) and in person. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to just be a struggling regular person searching for answers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Christ loves the Island of Misfit Christians ;) And I think it's a lot bigger than people think...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the church, even with its many flaws, because Jesus does. I love the misfits, even with all their flaws, because I am one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate where you are Deloy. Church that is institutionalized in some way is no longer church. Paul describes worship as a thing we do before God that is never ceasing, so we certainly do not need a building or other people to worship. And Paul assumed that Christian ministry and service was completely integrated into the life of the believer in such a way that we do not need organization, program or location to be a minister. We are to just live our lives as a witness in every way possible. The gifts of the Spirit are given to the church through each of us so that the church may be strong and effective, impacting a lost and dying world. All of that said, I do believe that we are to afford ourselves every opportunity to magnify the impact we each have upon the church. We may impact a few or impact many; it truly does come down to what each one of us believers understand what God expects of us individually and then live faithfully to that end. Love ya bro. "Come see us at church sometime!" (hehehe)

    ReplyDelete